As mentioned in our Beginners Tips, Picking a Civilization in Epic Age can have a big bearing on your gameplay. Indeed, each Civilization has unique buffs and Troops that will determine how capable your Kingdom is in different aspects of the game. In this Epic Age Guide, we will outline all the different Civilizations in the game to help you in choosing the right one for you!
Download Epic Age here: Download Link
How to Unlock Civilizations in Epic Age
When you first start the game you must first select a region you wish to start in. However, you must wait before you can select a Civilization to play. In order to do this, you must first get to Chapter 7 of the Main Quests. Not to worry though, this is quickly achieved just by following the prompts in the game. We did it in under an hour.
Once you reach Chapter 7, you will be given the choice to pick between all the playable Civilizations in the game. Once you have chosen your Civilization, you cannot change it again for the entirety of the current Season unless you are still in the Novice Period. It is therefore highly important to get this right! Each Civilization is outlined in detail in the next section of this Epic Age Civilizations Guide.
What Happens when you Change Civilization in Epic Age
When you first pick your civilization in Epic Age the first thing you notice will be that the design of your City will change. Each civilization has a unique design to separate them from each other and keep things interesting as you pan around the World Map.
In addition to this, each civilization will also gain separate buffs to their gameplay. In particular, you will receive a unique Tech that can be researched at City level 4, a unique Command which can be researched at City level 5, and a unique Unit that can be researched at City level 7.
Epic Age Civilization List
There are currently a total of 8 playable Civilizations in Epic Age. However, this is likely to be expanded further in the very near future. A full list of the current playable Civilizations can be found below in this Epic Age Guide. Included are details on the buffs you will receive from choosing them and some tips on how to play them.
“The apex of ancient European civilization emerged from the banks of the Tiber River. It is a symbol of greatness, and many kings proudly inherit their legacy.”
Roman Civilization Features
By selecting the Roman Civilization in Epic Age, you will receive the following benefits:
- Phalanx – Obtain unique Tech [Phalanx]: DMG dealt by Infantry -2.5%.
- Shield – Infantry can execute the Shield command on any territory to march into it. If a battle occurs when Shield is executed, has a 40% chance to gain 1 Resist on turn 2 and turn 4.
- Roman Legion – Obtain unique Tech [Roman Legion]. The seasonal Troop skill is obtained after researching. Infantry can be upgraded to Roman Legion after a Hero is equipped with the skill. Deals damage more frequently per turn during battle.
Is the Roman Civilization in Epic Age Good?
As can be seen from the benefits gained by choosing the Romans in Epic Age, this Civilization relies more upon utilizing Infantry Troops. Therefore, it should only be picked by players who want to use this Troop Type. Infantry troops have an advantage over Archers and the Romans will therefore have an advantage over the Civilizations using this troop type, such as the Mongolians.
In addition, Shield can be very useful to trap enemy players in a very costly battle. If you can bait them onto your Territory when Shield is active, then your Infantry Troops can receive Resist on turns 2 and 4. This can easily turn the battle in your favor in one in which you originally looked completely outmatched.
“Scandinavia is covered with ice sheets, with brutal blizzards constantly battering the barren land. The Berserkers flood southward in search of a better future, and crash down the southern nations like an unstoppable tidal wave.”
Viking Civilization Features
By selecting the Viking Civilization in Epic Age, you will receive the following benefits:
- Plunderer – Obtain unique Tech [Plunderer]: You can get resources by attacking player cities (depends on city durability).
- Battle Cry – Infantry can execute War Cry command on a player’s city to attack it. If a battle occurs when War Cry is executed, increases DMG dealt by +15% and DMG taken by +10% for the first 2 turns.
- Berserkers – Obtain unique Tech [Berserker]. The seasonal Troop skill is obtained after researching the Tech. Infantry can be upgraded to Berserkers after a Hero is equipped with the skill. Improves Physical Attacks after taking physical DMG during battle.
Is the Viking Civilization in Epic Age Good?
The Viking Civilization in Epic Age will very much suit players who want to engage in a lot of direct PvP against other player cities. Indeed, Viking players will gain resources by attacking other cities and gain buffs when making these attacks with Infantry Troops.
The unique troop type for the Viking Civilization is the Berserker. These get stronger as they take damage in battle which sees them starting to wipe out the enemy quicker the longer the battle goes on. This combined with their other skills makes them another Civilization for infantry players.
“The roar of Thermopylae resounds through the city-states, the sails on the Aegean Sea are billowing, and the fire of civilization is burning brighter.”
Hellas Civilization Features
By selecting the Hellas Civilization in Epic Age, you will receive the following benefits:
- Military Formation – Obtain unique Tech [Military Formation]: DMG dealt by Infantry +2.5%.
- Formation – Spearmen can garrison the territory by getting into Formation. If a battle occurs when the Infantry is in Formation, reduce DMG taken by 3%.
- Spartan Warrior – Obtain unique Tech [Spartan Warrior]. The seasonal Troop skill is obtained after researching the Tech. Infantry can be upgraded to Spartan Warriors after a Hero is equipped with the skill. Increase Squadron’s Physical DMG during battle.
Is the Hellas Civilization in Epic Age Good?
Hellas see their buffs mostly benefit their Infantry Troops. Indeed, they receive a nice buff to the DMG done by their infantry units, with their unique unit, the Spartan Warrior, being an upgrade over the regular Infantry unit which increases DMG further. The civilization should therefore be picked mostly focusing on Infantry Hero builds.
In addition to the benefits they see for Infantry, they also gain a good buff for Spearmen in certain situations. In particular, you can garrison a Territory with the Formation command which reduces DMG taken by Spearmen by 3%. This can make a huge difference in a close battle and is useful for blocking enemies out from strategic areas.
Overall, Hellas are a great option for players looking for lots of PvP action. All their buffs benefit from this aspect of the game and will see you able to put up more of a fight against other Civilizations. In addition, their additional buff to Spearmen utilizing the Formation function adds some balance to their gameplay. This allows you to also counter Cavalry troops and make use of any Spearmen Heroes you may have.
“Cherry blossoms are falling, and samurai swords are clashing with the enemies’ armor. The scene beautifully illuminates the kingdom of flowers and swords.”
Yamato Civilization Features
By selecting the Yamato Civilization in Epic Age, you will receive the following benefits:
- Samurai – Obtain unique Tech [Samurai]: DMG dealt, and DMG received by infantry +5%.
- All-Out Battle – For the next hour, when your Squadron is in battle, +10 ATK and +10% Physical Crit Chance for the first 2 turns. After the battle ends, +10% of wounded soldiers die.
- Yamato Samurai – Obtain unique Tech [Yamato Samurai]. The seasonal Troop skill is obtained after researching the Tech. Infantry can be upgraded to Yamato Samurai after a Hero is equipped with the skill. Gains [Dodge] and increases Physical DMG dealt during battle.
Is the Yamato Civilization in Epic Age Good?
Yamato are another of the Infantry focused Civilizations found in Epic Age. Indeed, their unique tech sees you able to ugrade the damage dealt by their infantry, though it will also increase the damage they receive. Their unique unit, the Yamato Samurai, is an infantry unit that gains Dodge to escape incoming attacks and sees increased Physical DMG.
In addition to their unique Tech and unique unit, you are able to activate the All-Out Battle command. This increases the damage and crit rate of your Infantry Troops in battle. However, it also increases your wounded to death rate at the end of the battle.
Overall, the Yamato are an Infantry powerhouse and ideal for players who want to focus their Heroes in this direction. Nevertheless, their high buffs are counterbalanced with increased DMG taken and a higher death rate when using All-Out Battle. You must therefore be prepared to spend more resources on constantly drafting more Troops.
“It is the gift of the Nile, and the miracle of the desert. The pyramids tower over the hot sands, a testament to the might and bravery of its defenders.”
Egypt Civilization Features
By selecting the Egypt Civilization in Epic Age, you will receive the following benefits:
- Theocracy – Obtain unique Tech [Theocracy]: Tech SPD +10%, Stone Production +1,500.
- Rebirth – For the next hour, increase 10% Healing Effectiveness in Battle.
- Egyptian Chariot – Obtain unique Tech [Egyptian Chariot]. The seasonal Troop skill is obtained after researching the Tech. Cavalry can be upgraded to Egyptian Chariots after a Hero is equipped with the skill. The entire Squadron gains First Strike and Group Attack during battle.
Is the Egypt Civilization in Epic Age Good?
Egypt are one of the lesser PvP focused Civilizations found in Epic Age. Indeed, their unique Tech is Theocray which increases Tech SPD by 10% and increases Stone Production by 1,500.
As Epic Age is a game that has a big focus on fighting other players, this does put them at a slight disadvantage. At the same time, however, you are able to get ahead quicker with your Tech, which could prove beneficial in the late game when Tech times start to increase significantly.
The unique Units of Egypt are Cvalary units called Egyptian Chariots. They gain First Strike and Group attack, which combined with the attack power of Cavalry Troops can deal huge damage to an enemy utilizing Infantry Troops such as Yamato players.
“The grassy Eurasian steppe is home to the descendants of the almighty Genghis Khan. Their fearsome cavalry trampled countless foes to establish one of the largest empires in history.”
Mongol Civilization Features
By selecting the Mongol Civilization in Epic Age, you will receive the following benefits:
- Hunter – Obtain unique Tech [Hunter]: Cavalry Marching SPD +25%, and receive Resources up to 10% of kill count after battling with other players.
- Assault – Cavalry can execute the Assault command on any territory to gain +50% Marching Speed. If a battle occurs when Assault is active, increases Morale +10, and deals one-time DMG affected by SPD (at a rate of 50%).
- Mongolian Cavalry Archers – Obtain unique Tech [Mongolian Cavalry Archers]. The seasonal Troop skill is obtained after researching the Tech. Archers can be upgraded to Mongolian Cavalry Archers after a Hero is equipped with the skill. Greatly increases activation chances of [Attack Mod] skills during battle.
Is the Mongol Civilization in Epic Age Good?
The Mongol Civilization should terrify any players making use of Spearmen or Cavalry due to buffs their unique Tech and Units bring to their Cavalry and Archer units. This can make them a great counter to many more players.
In terms of Cavalry, their unique Tech, Hunter, increases Cavalry marching SPD by 25% and gives the player resources equalling 10% of kill count after a battle has occurred. Additionally, they can use the Assault command on any Territory which increases Cavalry march SPD by 50%, morale by 10 and deal one-time DMG equal to 50% of SPD.
Lastly, their unique unit is the Mongolian Cavalry Archer which is an upgrade on Archer Troops. This unit sees a much-increased chance of Attack Mod Skills being activated during battle.
Overall, the Mongolian Civilization can be very useful if you want to cover a wider range of Troops with all their buffs being PvP focused for the bloodthirsty players. However, for your first Season of Epic Age, this can be difficult to utilize fully at is unlikely you will be able to develop enough Heroes to cover both Troop Types.
“Armed with machetes, the Persian armies swept across Europe, Asia, and Africa, assimilating countries and cultures along the way. Their openness and diversity gave rise to one of humanity’s first empires.”
Persian Civilization Features
By selecting the Persian Civilization in Epic Age, you will receive the following benefits:
- Raider – Obtain unique Tech [Raider]: DMG dealt by Spearmen +2.5%.
- Focus Fire – Use to draft 2,000 Reserves. Cannot be used if you have already hit your Reserve limit. If you exceed your Reserve limit when using this, Reserves exceeding your limit won’t be retained.
- Persian Immortals – Obtain unique Tech [Persian Immortal]. The seasonal Troop skill is obtained after researching the Tech. Spearmen can be upgraded to Persian Immortals after a Hero is equipped with the skill. Reduces damage taken by Squadron during battle.
Is the Persian Civilization in Epic Age Good?
The Persian Civilization in Epic Age is ideal for players looking to focus their game on Spearmen. Their unique Tech, Raider, increases Spearmen DMG by 2.5%, and their unique Unit, Persian Immortals, are an upgrade on Spearmen who take reduced DMG in battle.
Next up they have the Focus Fire command. When used, this will instantly draft you an additional 2,000 Reserves up to your limit. Ideal for replenishing your Squadrons quickly when you are fighting many fronts.
Overall, the Persian Civilization is a great option for PvP. In particular, the buffs you will get for your Spearmen Troops will see you dominate any player trying to take you on with Archers and you will be able to decimate anyone using Cavalry. Focus Fire is also fantastic for keeping you in the fight with overwhelming numbers if you do start to take some losses.
“From the dragon-like Great Wall, to the snaking Yellow River, these warrior give their all to protect their ancient homeland.”
China Civilization Features
By selecting the China Civilization in Epic Age, you will receive the following benefits:
- Troop Farmer – Obtain unique Tech [Troop Farmer]: Food gathering +10%, Food Production +1,500.
- Trading – Use to get 3h of Wood, Metal, Stone, and Food produced. Cannot be used if any type of Resource has hit its limit. If you exceed your Resource Limit after using, you can retain the excess Resources.
- Qin Elite Soldiers – Obtain unique Tech [Qin Elite Soldier]. The seasonal Troop skill is obtained after researching the Tech. Spearmen can be upgraded to Qin Elite Soldiers after a Hero is equipped with the skill. Has a chance of dealing extra Tactical DMG during battle.
Is the China Civilization in Epic Age Good?
China is another Civilization in Epic Age that is not overly focused on PvP. Instead, their unique Tech and Command looks to boost the player’s economy. In particular, their unique Tech, Troop Farmer, increases food gathering and production.
In addition, their Command skill, Trading, will instantly give the player 3h worth of resources for Wood, Metal, Stone, and Food. Although these economy-focused buffs are useful, they will see you struggle against any of the more PvP-focused civilizations.
Lastly, their unique Unit is the Qin Elite Soldier. These are an upgrade on Spearmen Troops and they gain a chance to deal Tactical DMG during battle. Although useful, as their other buffs do not focus on Spearmen as well, they will still struggle in battles against any counters or even other Spearmen players such as the Persian Civilization.
Download Epic Age here: Download Link
More Epic Age Guides from OCG
Join our Community
If you found this Epic Age Civilizations Guide useful, then join our community to be kept up to date on any new Epic Age Guides added to the site.