Commanders are hugely important in Rise of Kingdoms. They can help you in everything you do, from farming to PvP. Indeed, they are often the difference between victory and defeat. Read this Rise of Kingdoms Commander Guide for everything you need to know to get the most out of your RoK Commanders.
What are Rise of Kingdoms Commanders
Commanders are special units in RoK that can lead your armies in battle and gather resources for your Rise of Kingdoms account.
Additionally, they are a key element in the Rise of Kingdoms strategic gameplay. They help create a greater diversity of meta, playstyles, and color. Indeed, they provide a huge variety of different strategic options when it comes to farming, PvE, and PvP.
Farming Commanders can be particularly useful for your RoK Farm Accounts.
Why you should care about RoK Commanders
Basically speaking, Rise of Kingdom Commanders play a very important role when it comes to deciding if you win or lose a march.
For example, a T5 march with bad RoK Commanders (including restricted typed and non-expertise skill) will get defeated even by a T4 march with decent Commanders.
How to get a Rise of Kingdoms Commander
There are multiple ways to get Commanders. The basic way is by collecting Commander sculptures. When you get 10 Sculptures of a certain Commander, they can be summoned. Below are fundamental ways to gain RoK Commander Sculptures/recruit Commanders:
- Tavern (with Silver or Golden key).
- Mightiest Governor Event (MGE).
- Wheel of Fortune Event.
- Card King Event.
- Daily Bundles.
- Legendary Tavern Event (KVK 4/ SoC only).
- Epic sculpture events (giving specific epic commander sculptures).
Please note, if you get lucky and pull a complete RoK Commander under one of the above methods, you will gain 10 Sculptures for that Commander if you already have it.
Rise of Kingdoms Commander Roles
In Rise of Kingdoms, there are 3 main roles that a Commander can have. These are the areas of gameplay that the Commander can excel at. The 3 roles are:
- PvE (Barbarian, Barbarian Fort, or anything with a barbarian tag).
- Farming (Resources collector, food, wood, stone, gold, and gem).
- PvP (War, rally, garrison, open field).
Rise of Kingdoms Commander Specialities
Each RoK Commander has 3 specialties. These can be seen above the Commander’s stats. Each specialty determines one thing that the Commanders will be good at.
The 3 specialty groupings are summarized below:
- Specialty 1 determines the Commander’s best RoK Troop Type.
- Specialty 2 determines the Commander’s best role.
- Peacekeeping, versatility, conquering, garrison, or gathering.
- Specialty 3 determines the Commander’s best role in battle.
These specialties are developed through the Talent tree. Each time you level the Commander, you gain points to be spent within the Talent Tree on improving the Commander’s specialties.
Rise of Kingdoms Commander Rarity
There are 4 different levels of rarity for RoK Commanders. In general, the rarer a Commander, the better they will be.
- Advanced – Green Commanders
- Elite – Blue Commanders
- Epic – Purple Commanders
- Legendary – Golden Commanders
Rise of Kingdoms Commander Recruitment Guide
As mentioned already, there are several ways to go about recruiting Commanders in Rise of Kingdoms. Below you will find greater detail on how to go about this. Please note, you require 10 Sculptures for a specific Commander to unlock them.
Additionally, every player will get a starter commander depending on the Civilization they chose at the start of the game. Check out our RoK Civilization Guide for the full details on this.
Mightiest Governor Event (occurs every 2 weeks)
During this event, you have the opportunity to locate the Commander Sculptures of some great Commanders. The RoK Commanders available to be recruited will depend on whether the event falls during a Season of Conquest KvK or not.
The Commanders that can be recruited during each scenario can be found below.
Non – Season of Conquest KvK
Each Commander below will appear 4 times in a row during each Mightiest Governor Event. Once they have appeared 4 times, the next Commander on the list will start their rotation in the RoK Mightiest Governor Event. Follow the links below to see a list of the Best Commanders in each category.
|Commander||Main Speciality||Time to next Commander|
Season of Conquest KvK
These Commanders are obtainable during the Mightiest Governor Event when it falls during a Season of Conquest KvK. Follow the links below to see a list of the Best Commanders in each category.
|Commander*||Main Speciality||Time to next Commander|
* The commanders available under each of these can be seen below. You will receive random Commander Sculptures of these Commanders when it is their specialty rotation in the event.
- Cavalry – Saladin, Attila, Chandragupta Maurya, Jadwiga, Bertrand du Guesclin.
- Infantry – Constantine, Leonidas I, Zenobia, Pakal.
- Archer – Tomyris, Artemisia I, Nebuchadnezzar, Amanitore.
- Leadership – Wu Zetian, Theodora, Moctezuma I, Suleiman I.
When you locate Silver and Gold keys, you can use them in the Tavern to unlock their corresponding chests. Gold Keys are better than Silver Keys, but also much rarer. Each unlocked chest rewards you with 4 items.
The below shows which Commander Sculptures can be obtained using RoK Silver Keys.
- All Epic Commanders except for Diaochan, Keira and Lohar.
- All Elite and Advanced Commanders.
|Epic Commander Sculpture||1.009%|
|Elite Commander Sculpture||4.035%|
|Advanced Commander Sculpture||8.456%|
|Epic Starlight Sculpture||3.364%|
|Elite Starlight Sculpture||6.727%|
|Advanced Starlight Sculpture||16.818%|
|Tome of Knowledge||23.125%|
Please note, you can unlock 5 Silver Chests for free every day.
The below shows which Commander Sculptures can be obtained using RoK Golden Keys.
- All Commanders obtainable in Silver Chests.
- Legendary Commanders – Julius Caesar, Charles Martel, El Cid, Cao Cao, Frederic, Cleopatra VII, Mehmed II, Mulan, Ragnar Lodbrok, Seondeok, Ishida Mitsu Nari.
|Legendary Commander Sculpture||3.06398%|
|Epic Commander Sculpture||8.41735%|
|Elite Commander Sculpture||15.49167%|
|Legendary Starlight Sculpture||4.92289%|
|Epic Starlight Sculpture||9.84578%|
|Tome of Knowledge||21.53764%|
Please note, you can unlock 1 Golden Chest for free roughly every 2 days. You can improve this rate by upgrading your RoK Tavern building.
Wheel of Fortune
The RoK Wheel of Fortune Event occurs on Tuesdays after your Kingdom has reached 24 days in age. The Rise of Kingdoms Commanders you can win are shown below.
- Yi Seong – Gye
- Genghis Khan
- Alexander the Great
- Edward of Woodstock
- Takeda Shingen
- Guan Yu
- Ramesses II
- Yi Sun – Sin
- Harlald Sigurdsson
- Cyrus the Great
- Xiang Yu
- Cheok Jun-Gyeong
- Honda Tadakatsu
- Alexander Nevsky
Card King Event
There is nothing much to say about this event, every Legendary commander is available, except for Lubu.
The Rise of Kingdoms Legendary Tavern Event is only active during the Season of Conquest KvKs. During the event, you can obtain Sovereign Keys which are used to unlock the Legendary Chest.
The RoK Commanders that can be unlocked from this are shown below along with the probability that they will be found.
- Attila – 0.02%
- Moctezuma I – 0.04%
- Cyrus the Great – 0.04%
- Harald Sigurdsson – 0.04%
- William – 0.04%
- Trajan – 0.04%
- Alexander the Great – 0.11%
- Edward of Woodstock – 0.11%
- Tomyris – 0.07%
- Genghis Khan – 0.11%
- Constantine – 0.07%
- Yi Sun-sin – 0.04%
- Guan Yu – 0.04%
- Theodora – 0.02%
- Artemisia – 0.02%
- Leonidas – 0.02%
- Ramesses II – 0.04%
- Chandragupta Maurya – 0.02%
- Nebuchadnezzar II – 0.02%
- Zenobia – 0.02%
- Takeda Shingen – 0.02%
- Saladin – 0.07%
- Attila Sculpture – 0.69%
- Moctezuma I Sculpture – 1.19%
- Cyrus the Great Sculpture – 1.19%
- Harlald Sigurdsson Sculpture – 1.19%
- William Sculpture – 1.19%
- Trajan Sculpture – 1.19%
- Alexander the Great Sculpture – 3.62%
- Edward of Woodstock Sculpture – 3.62%
- Tomyris Sculpture – 2.12%
- Genghis Khan Sculpture – 3.62%
- Constantine Sculpture – 2.15%
- Yi Sun-sin Sculpture – 1.19%
- Guan Yu Sculpture – 1.19%
- Theodora Sculpture – 0.69%
- Artemisia Sculpture – 0.69%
- Leonidas Sculpture – 0.69%
- Ramesses II Sculpture – 1.19%
- Chandragupta Maurya Sculpture – 0.69%
- Nebuchadnezzar II Sculpture – 0.69%
- Zenobia Sculpture – 0.69%
- Takeda Shingen Sculpture – 0.69%
- Saladin Sculpture – 2.15%
Improving your Rise of Kingdoms Commanders
Once you have your Commanders, you can do several things to improve them even further. This includes upgrading their skills, spending talent points, and leveling them up. Please see all the details below.
How to Level up a Rise of Kingdoms Commander
You must earn experience for your Commanders to level them up. There are several ways to do this:
- Use Tomes of Knowledge (EXP book).
- Kill Barbarians and Barbarian Forts.
- Kill Guardians (Guardians of Holy Site).
- Finish daily quests, daily chests, and events to obtain EXP books.
The EXP required for each type of rarity is different, the following order shows the EXP cost from highest to lowest: Legendary, Epic, Elite, and Advanced.
How to Star Up your Rise of Kingdoms Commander
- Every 10 levels you can upgrade the Star Level of your Commander. To do this, you must use Starlight items. Doing this allows you to reach the next milestone and continue improving your Commanders Level, Talents and Skills.
- The star required for each type of rarity is different, the following order shows the cost from highest to lowest: Legendary, Epic, Elite, and Advanced.
Tips for Picking RoK Commander Talents
- As mentioned in the RoK Commander Specialities section, the roles of Commanders is best expressed through their relevant talents.
- Commanders gain talent points from leveling up. Furthermore, they receive bonus talent points when the Commander reaches 5 Stars and 6 Stars, with them gaining 5 and 10 talent points respectively.
- In the Talent Tree interface, you have 3 choices to build up talents. Your selection will depend on what you want the Commander’s main role to be.
- You can reset/change the Talent Tree for 1,000 Gems or by using a Ralent Reset item.
- Finally, the talents of the secondary commander in the march have no effect.
Upgrading Rise of Kingdom Commander Skills
The number of RoK Sculptures required to improve skills varies depending on the rarity of the commander. To fully expertise the skills of a Commander, you will need the following number of Sculptures:
- Legendary – 690 (+10 for recruitment)
- Epic – 440 (+10 for recruitment)
- Elite – 340 (+10 for recruitment)
- Advanced – 240 (+10 for recruitment)
If you want to focus on a particular skill to upgrade, you can change the number of skills to target when upgrading. This can improve the chances of the skill upgrade landing on your desired choice.
Tips for Improving your Rise of Kingdoms Commanders
Be careful about which Commanders you chose to focus development on. Some Commanders are only worth using as a reserve option. Therefore you should not waste resources on improving these.
Save your EXP Books and Starlights for your primary Commanders who will require many resources to reach level 60.
Rise of Kingdoms Leveling Requirements Table
The Stars required are estimated using normal Stars ( 60% critical chance). However, it will cost less if you have Blessed or Bundle Stars, with a 20% and 10% chance bonus respectively.
More Rise of Kingdoms Guides from OCG
Join our Community
If you found this Rise of Kingdoms Commander Guide useful then join our community below. We will keep you updated on any new Rise of Kingdoms Guides we post, along with other interesting updates from the site.